Monthly Archives: September 2016

Brighton’s parks at risk

Have a look at this: – https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-parks

Britain’s parks are at risk. There’s no legal responsibility to look after them and squeezed budgets mean our local green spaces – from playgrounds, to the park you relax in on your lunch break – don’t have the money they need. We could end up being forced to pay to use our parks – or lose them altogether. 

A group of MPs are looking into the crisis right now. They’re thinking of making protecting parks a legal requirement, and they’ll advise the government on what to do. A huge petition, signed by all of us, will prove how much we love our parks. It could convince the MPs to come up with a water-tight plan for protecting them. 

Can you sign the petition now and demand that looking after our parks is made a legal requirement by the government? It only takes 30 seconds to add your name: – https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-parks.

Advertisements

Get Active Autumn/Winter Programme

get-active

From Corinna Edwards-Colledge

Just to let you know that the new Autumn/Winter programme is now out!  You can download it here.  It has all our regular Healthwalks and Active for Life sessions in the front of the programme, and our calendar of special and one-off walks in the back, along with a venue and bus details list.

If you have any problems accessing the programme and would like me to email you the PDF direct please let me know or click here.  If you would prefer a plain-text version or printed copy please let me know as well.

Best wishes

Corinna

Healthwalks Manager

Public Health, Sport & Physical Activity Team (Please note, I am part time and my usual working days are Tuesday-Thursday)

Brighton & Hove City Council, Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton BN1 1JE

01273 292564 | www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/healthwalks

Twitter: @HealthwalksBH. Facebook: brightonhovehealthwalks

Cup for ‘community spirit’

London Road Station Partnership Blog

imageWe were so pleased to be shortlisted again for Brighton and Hove City in Bloom Best Community Garden at this year’s awards on 15 September. We’ve been in the top three each year ever since we first entered in 2013. And this year, we gained third prize again, with our neighbours, Stanford Avenue Community Garden, coming second. Well done, all of us!

But we were perhaps even more chuffed by the accolade to our ‘community spirit’. Much to our surprise, we were awarded the Edward Furey Cup again for the garden showing the best community spirit. We won it previously in 2013 and there are so many great community gardens in Brighton and Hove, we really were taken aback. It’ll be on the table again with us when we have our annual harvest supper in October.

View original post

John Lewis development could spark wider improvements in Brighton

From The Argus

The proposed John Lewis store

The proposed John Lewis store

THE arrival of one of the country’s favourite retailers should be used as a catalyst to improve the city centre’s route to the seafront.

Brighton and Hove Friends of the Earth (BHFOE) have called for the arrival of John Lewis to spark an overhaul of the Clock Tower junction which would include turning part of West Street into a more pedestrian friendly area.

Group member Chris Todd said he hoped the street could become more like the shared space of New Road and attract a wider range of daytime businesses to the area and boost the local economy.

Under the BHFOE proposals, private vehicles would be stopped from driving north of Churchill Square car park in West Street with just buses and taxis allowed up to the Clock Tower.

Mr Todd said the move would make the area much cleaner and safer with fewer pedestrians making dangerous dashes across the road at the confusing set of lights.

By reducing the amount of traffic coming north from West Street, it is hoped that buses travelling along North Street would have less delays waiting at the Clock Tower lights – currently one of the city’s most polluted junctions.

An uphill cycle lane for North Street to be painted on to the road is also being advocated to coincide with pedestrian improvements already suggested by John Lewis as part of their plans for a new store opening in the next few years.

The retailer is also being encouraged to be innovative in the building design by using low impact materials and green walls and roofs while BHFOE have also raised concerns about the impact of the store’s proposed click and collect service bringing more cars to the heavily congested junction.

Mr Todd said that many of the changes could be achieved at low cost, largely through developer contributions.

He added: “I think New Road has worked fairly well and I really want to see more of that where people are given priority over vehicles. Vehicles don’t spend money, it’s people.

“The system we have at the moment is just not working for people.

“Part of the problem at the moment is that the buses get held up by the traffic lights.

“By allowing buses to run through the lights at the same time without being held up by other traffic, they will run much more efficiently and won’t be sitting around pumping out fumes.

“At the moment you have a handful of private cars at one traffic light holding up buses with tens or hundreds of people on board.”

A John Lewis spokeswoman said: ‘We welcome all feedback from local people during this pre-application consultation period and would like to encourage people to share their views on our proposals with us at johnlewis.com/our-shops/brighton.”

URGENT: Success on Hollingbury site but please help again by Thursday 22 Sept

FRIENDS OF HOLLINGBURY & BURSTEAD WOODS

Many thanks to all those who wrote in to try and get the sites earmarked for housing off the “Urban Fringe” list  in the draft City Plan.    Your letters are working! But we need to be vigilant. Please share this and try and write a short note to the council by Thursday.

URGENT – please support the proposal to delete the Hollingbury Park urban fringe site from the list of potential housing development sites.

DEADLINE THURSDAY 22nd SEPTEMBER 5pm

City Plan Part 2 Scoping consultation

The council has reviewed the proposed allocation of 2 plots in Hollingbury Park for housing in the City Plan and is now recommending that this urban fringe area is removed as a potential site.  However this recommendation is draft and needs support. If you are able to send in a short note confirming you want the council to remove this site from those…

View original post 556 more words

RMT announces five new dates for strikes on Southern

From The Argus

rmt

Southern Railway workers are to stage 14 days of strike action in five blocks from next month in the long running dispute over the role of conductors.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union announced an escalation of industrial action which will bring fresh travel chaos for hundreds of thousands of passengers.

The strikes will start on October 11 and will be held intermittently until December 8.

The union has held a series of walkouts in recent months in protest against changes to the role of conductors at Southern, which is owned by Govia Thameslink Railway.

Conductors are to take strike action by not booking on for any shifts between:

• 00.01 on Tuesday 11th October and 23.59 on Thursday 13th October

• 00.01 on Tuesday 18th October and 23.59 on Thursday 20th October

• 00.01 on Thursday 3rd November and 23.59 on Saturday 5th November

• 00.01 on Tuesday 22nd November and 23.59 on Wednesday 23rd November

• 00.01 on Tuesday 6th December and 23.59 on Thursday 8th December.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said in a statement: “Yet again our members are being forced to take industrial action in a bid to maintain a safe and secure service on Southern.

Govia Thameslink and the government have made it clear that they have no interest in resolving this dispute.

“Instead they have begun the process of bulldozing through the drive towards wholesale Driver Only Operation (DOO) without agreement and without any concern for the impact on safety, security and disability access.

“Last week there was a train derailment near Watford that involved two trains.

“The guards on both trains played a vital role in protecting the passengers and the trains in what were extremely frightening circumstances.

“If the train had been DOO and without a guard the consequences would have been far worse.

“This week we reached a deal with Scotrail that we are recommending for acceptance in a referendum of our members, that guarantees a fully competent conductor/guard on every new train.

“This agreement protects passengers, and guarantees a second safety trained member of staff on board a train, who can assist if there is an incident such as we recently saw near Watford.

“If an agreement can be reached on Scotrail, then an agreement can also be made on Southern.

“In the light of these recent developments it is disgraceful that neither the company or the Government are prepared to engage and are continuing to attempt to impose DOO in the interests of putting profit before safety.

“We call on them to get round the negotiating table as an urgent priority.”

GTR’s Passenger Services Director Angie Doll said in a statement: “The RMT’s desire to heap yet further travel misery on the public and affect the everyday lives of so many people is shameful.