RMT urges Southern guards to take new role

From Brighton & Hove News

conductors-strike

The RMT union has urged train guards to take the new onboard supervisor roles being offered by Southern.

But the union has insisted that the three-day strike due to start on Tuesday 11 October will go ahead.

Southern welcomed the RMT’s new advice to members and called on union leaders to call off the “pointless” strike.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “Despite the company spin there is no climb down from the union.

“Our dispute remains on and the fight for safety continues despite the bullying and threats from Southern.

“We have a duty to issue our members with clear legal advice that protects their position in the teeth of the threat of mass sackings. That is what we have done.”

Mr. Cash said that the union wanted to return to the arbitration and conciliation service ACAS for talks about the long-running dispute.

But, he said, the union had been rebuffed by bosses from Southern’s parent company Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR).

Southern said that it would run more than six out of ten services during the strike this week – more trains than it ran during previous strikes.

For the full story click here.

Advertisements