With the warm weather upon us, Sussex police would like to pass on some crime prevention advice on how to keep your home secure this summer:
1) If you leave your house empty – even when you are in the back garden – lock all the doors and windows. Be especially careful about those on the ground floor and above flat roof areas.
2) When you leave a room unattended, close the windows and doors – especially on the ground floor.
3) Keep all wallets, purses, credit cards and car keys out of sight.
4) If you want to leave your windows open while you are asleep, have window restrictors fitted to stop people climbing in.
5) Double check fences and boundaries to make sure they keep burglars out.
6) Secure garden tools and ladders in a locked shed or garage to prevent them being used to break in to your or a neighbour’s home.
7) Consider laying gravel on your footpaths or driveway, which can deter burglars from approaching your property.
8) Fit outside security lighting and a visible burglar alarm to help deter burglars.
The best defence against burglary is prevention.
Report any suspicious activity to the police at the time.
101 for non-emergencies, 999 in an emergency.
East Brighton Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT)